EP. 43 | “An addiction is something that’s covering up something else.”
Jenn Edden has been helping people quit their sugar addiction for over 14 years. As you’ll hear in this episode, this is Jenn’s calling and she’s hugely passionate about the work she does.
Jenn captivated me because you don’t often hear sugar and addiction in the same sentence. But when you learn that sugar lights up the same part of the brain as cocaine, you realize how serious this addiction can be. I guess that’s what’s most scary. How many times were you given a lollipop when you were hurt or sick as a child?
Jenn is the real deal. Raised in an addictive family, Jenn admits she’s seen a lot. It’s one of the things that makes her such an authority on this subject. She knows her stuff and she’s going to get you to view sugar in a whole new way.
Especially if you have kids…
As a mom of three, it’s fascinating to learn how Jenn has drawn from her own experiences and teachings to raise kids who have high self-esteem and strong awareness of their emotions. So listen in and discover some of the strategies Jenn uses to stop addiction from bedding down – so you can use them in your own life.
This episode dives into topics I wasn’t expecting to come up in a conversation about sugar – but as you’ll see they’re all related to addiction. We cover everything from guilt to forgiveness, to goal-setting, delayed gratification, failure, passion, and purpose.
I loved this episode so much and I know you’re going to love it too. So listen in. You’ll learn a heap about managing addiction, preventing addiction, and ultimately living in a way that’s true to your soul.
Some Questions I Ask:
- There are so many addictions out there. How did you decide to focus on sugar? [1:20]
- When was the moment you realized enough was enough with the sugar in your life? [3:35]
- Why do you think a near-death experience can help define what’s important for you? [6:48]
- How do you teach kids and teenagers to love themselves? [19:00]
- How does forgiveness play a role in addiction? [23:35]
- What habits do you implement every single day so you can retrain your brain? [28:00]
- Why does gratitude serve as a shield for you from the habits you don’t want to have? [29:59]
- How do you keep track of your lessons? [25:23]
- If you haven’t gone through a rock bottom, how do you create a rock bottom experience for yourself so that you can have the same level of knowledge? [36:50]
- How do you stay grounded on a daily basis? [45:24]
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Where does addiction come from? [9:00]
- How you can know if you’re addicted to something. [12:26]
- The most important lessons Jenn learned from her parents. [22:20]
- The three words that can heal anything. [24:20]
- How guilt is linked to sugar. [25:50]
- Jenn’s 1-minute journaling practice that helps keep her aware and stops her getting into old stuff. [29:25]
- How past experiences can be used to create a better experience for yourself. [31:42]
- The number one thing Jenn teaches. [34:06]